Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Civil War anyone??

Sorry, the last two posts were REALLY dull. I'm glad I went for a walk before I wrote this up. I think "historic" has a different meaning in South Carolina then in Iowa. I think of cute streets, historic signs marking everything, one exciting sighting after another, quaint. Apparently in the south, historic means good god, what ever you do don't walk around here at night and/or ghetto. So, on our way to the hotel, I was really disappointed and only had plans to leave my room to go to Fort Sumter. After settling in though, Ross and I struck up a hunger. He was really interested in trying someplace he's heard of called Hyman's Seafood. Whatever. We change and move out. I brought my camera incase I saw anything historic or carjackings. Hyman's is only 1-2 blocks away. Quick walk. Delicious food. Ross enjoyed she crab soup, because I guess she crabs taste differently than he crabs? I've heard so much about fried green tomatoes (they even made a movie about it for pete's sake!!!) I decided I better have some. There's a reason why they made a movie!!!!

After eating, we decided we needed groceries. No store in sight. We did the natural tourist thing and stopped some local on the street and asked her. Her "2 blocks that way" directions became more like 6. But we made it. Groceries (including beer this time) were bought and we slumped back to our hotel. Along the way "historic" became closer in meanings. While Ross and I wondered aimlessly for the grocery store, we stumbled upon a turn-of-the-century cemetery, IN THE MIDDLE OF TOWN. It was large enough for a few dozen. The tombstones were so worn we couldn't make out what they said, but I got pictures of course!! Also, amid our aimless walk, we saw the Daughters of the Confederacy museum. I know I'm in the South, but FYI...Union won.

The spontaneous choice of our hotel was great. It's location couldn't get any better. Within walking distance to carriage tours, historic buildings, the battery, the bay to see ft. sumter, 40 hotels, 3 blocks from shopping.

Even though Charleston seemed like a letdown at first, it is quickly rising to meet expectations. I would recommend this town to anyone. Although, 1 side note. If you do visit, apparently "historic" also means funky smell.

-J

2 comments:

  1. Ha! If you think Charleston smells bad and is ghetto, wait until you see midtown Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please no. I have this little ideal of a quint, rustic, antique setting. Moss growing. Huge trees that drape over the road. Stepping into a pre-war movie set. Everything natural.

    ReplyDelete